Monday, November 4, 2013

 
It has been a while since I have posted. Actually, several years. But I am back and have started a new charitable group called Make-A-Change. I thought of that name from the Michael Jackson song, Man in the Mirror. That song s lyrics rings true for me:
 
"If You Wanna Make The World A Better Place, Take A Look At Yourself And Then Make A Change." - Michael Jackson, Man In The Mirror
 
So my charity groups name is based on the concept of starting with yourself and making a change in the world you want to see. Or as Gandhi stated:
 
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.” - Mahatma Gandhi
 
Since it is November and Thanksgiving is around the corner I decided the first event I wanted to organize was a teenage dream of mine. When I was 16 years old I was studying Anthony Robbins Personal Power tapes and came across his Basket Brigades where they would feed the families in need. I always wanted to be part of a Basket Brigade. So when I moved to San Diego nine years ago in 2004 I always meant to volunteer for one or start my own. Each year I have procrastinated doing this and I have come close a few times. But this year I drew the line in the sand and stopped procrastinating. It helps that the Anthony Robbins Foundation sends me emails every year asking me if I am still ready to volunteer for a Basket Brigade :-)
 
So Friday I created my own Basket Brigade called The San Diego Make-A-Change Basket Brigade. I spent all weekend creating a personal website, email addresses, getting organized, etc. It is quite a bit of work setting the foundation of the electronic world - Facebook, Yahoo, websites, Flyer's, etc. But come Monday (today) all was ready to go.
 
I let the world know who we were and advertised our need for volunteers and donations on Facebook and Craigslist and emailed a few trusted friends and family. A couple people have joined the team, a couple donations have rolled in, and even a couple families have asked to join the list of families needing Thanksgiving dinners. The engines are warming up and the ball is rolling.
 
I truly believe you have to meet God half way and I am very certain I have done just that. I fully expect God to hold up his side now. lol. They say God works through people. I certainly can attest to that. I have learned to be open to opportunities as they present themselves - understanding that it could be God's intention. For example, my Craigslist ad for volunteers and donations first response was neither a donation or a volunteer but a family of 8 asking for a Thanksgiving basket. But that is not all. The family lives over an hour away in Corona, CA! That is far beyond my designated area. And before I could let them know that, I said yes I could help them and to spread the word to any other families in need (that was before I knew where they lived). Now I have two families - one in Corona and one in Anaheim. So - what to do. There of course is no way I am turning a family in need of a Thanksgiving dinner away just because they are an hours drive away. I am a man of faith I am going to assume God brought these two families to me for a reason. So I did put an end to spreading the word to more, but I told them I would make sure to help both of their families out. They will be taken cared of. God worked his magic.
 
My charity is non-denominational and non-religious in nature overall. My personal beliefs are my personal beliefs. Everyone must decide what moves them. Some of the kindest and warmest humans I know are atheists. I respects atheists very much and hope to have some as volunteers in my Basket Brigade. You do not need a religion under your feet to give from your heart. You just need to be a human who cares.
 
Without further ado...
 
The San Diego Make-A-Change Basket Brigade is revving up for Thanksgiving! We are looking for volunteers to help make this a raging success. The plan is simple - find families in need of a Thanksgiving dinner, purchase the makings of that dinner, wrap and organize the dinner into baskets on the Saturday/Sunday before Thanksgiving, and then deliver the baskets Sunday.

Click here to volunteer and/or get more information:

Personal SD Make A Change Website
 
San Diego Make A Change Basket Brigade

Anthony Robbins Foundation - Make-A-Change Basket Brigade Website

San Diego Make A Change Basket Brigade

You can also click the Donate button below to donate cash directly. Each family Thanksgiving basket costs around $50, but we gladly accept any dollar amount. It all adds up!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment