Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Fourth Starbucks Card

Hello World!

So if you read the last post, I still had that fourth Starbucks card to give out. For some reason the same day I handed out the other three, I did not find a fourth person to give it to. I thought perhaps I was going to get pulled over by a cop on the way home and need to give the card to the cop.

LOL.

Hey, God indeed works like that sometimes.

The next work day I forgot the Starbucks card at home. Doh! I figured, Okay God, you know what you're doing. Left up to me I would have given it to someone of my own decision - but alas, God had plans.

Today I remembered to bring the card with me.

I remembered at the last minute.

Because it is the last day before my vacation I decided to drive and park downtown rather than park at old town and take the trolley into work. As I was walking towards my building I remembered the Starbucks card and figured maybe this was the moment. I remembered there are usually homeless inside the Starbucks in my building. So I was thinking maybe I would go in and see if there was someone homeless in there now.

Now let's take a brief moment to realize that my focus is on helping the homeless. Perhaps God has to work within my focus too - which is on the homeless. So while I let God tell me who to give the card to, generally speaking my eyes are scanning towards the homeless.(Though I would give the card to someone not homeless if it struck me to do that)

I guess I figure I need to change my attitude towards the homeless.

So, Low and Behold, there was an elderly man sitting on the bench in front of Starbucks - he sort of looked like Santa Clause truth be told. Starbucks puts benches out in front of the store and many times that is where the homeless hang out - usually drinking a cup of Starbucks coffee.

Well I walked up to the man and said hello and handed him the Starbucks card. Now the card is in a little white envelope, so most people do not know what I have just given them.

Then here is the dialog that continues:

Man: Can you spare some money, I am really hungry and would like to buy a sandwich?

Jay: That is what this is for (the Starbucks card)

Man: What is it? (He did not know the card in his hand was a Starbucks card)

Jay: That is a Starbucks gift card. You can buy a sandwich with it.

Man: How much is it for?

Jay: $8

Man: Oh thank you! Thank you so much! How did you know I was hungry? I don't know how you could have known.

Jay: Because God Is Watching.

Man: Oh. I think I am crying. Thank you so much. Do you have a minute to talk, please I really want to talk to you for just a minute.

Jay: Yes. But I work in this building and I do have to get to work.

We actually did not end up talking because the man was speechless. There was tears evident in his eyes. The man was really hungry and he probably was asking God for food.

It was a wonderful moment. It was worth the 2 days wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment